Whether you are an individual, registered business; public or private in Nigeria, you need to have your Tax Identification Number (TIN). In this article, you will see how to get to know more about what TIN number is, how to generate TIN number online and why you need to have your TIN without further delays.
Before now, you can only apply for Nigerian TIN in tax offices or FIRS offices across the federation. The good news today is that you can now apply for your TIN online at the very comfort of your home or office. All you need is to the requirements handy.
What is Tax Identification Number (TIN) All About?
Tax Identification Number (TIN) or TIN number is a unique number that is issued to all Tax Payers in Nigeria be you an individual, a registered business or company.
This TIN number is given by the Federal Government of Nigeria through the Joint Tax Board JTB or Federal Inland Revenue Services(FIRS) to eligible individuals or companies to identify them as registered taxpayers in Nigeria.
The TIN number is usually prepared by the tax office and issued out to individuals, registered business or incorporated companies for proper identification and verification as taxpayers.
It has come to help the government in her tax drive and to eliminates cases of multiple taxations which has bedevilled the system for long.
What Does TIN Look Like In Nigeria?
The TIN number differs slightly for enterprise Limited liability company. While the TIN is eight-digit number Example 14869725 for enterprise, a Limited Liability Company is twelve digit number Example 12546894-0001.
Example of a TIN number in Nigeria for enterprise and Limited liability company is as given below:
14869725 – Enterprise Company.
12546894-0001- Limited Liability Company.
What Do I Need To Apply For TIN Number?
The requirement for getting your Tax identification number is different for individuals and companies.
For individuals or persons, your TIN is automatically assigned to you based on your BVN (Bank Verification Number) or NIN (National Identity Number).
Therefore, the requirement for you to get a TIN as an individual is your NIN or BVN.
You can check online on the Joint Tax Board JTB TIN verification portal to know if you already have an existing TIN or Visit the nearest Tax authority or FIRS office for more enquiries about your TIN.
READ ALSO: Get 5% Cashback on Airtime & Bill Payment
Registered Businesses (Non-Individuals)
The TIN requirements for non-individuals such as Limited Liability Companies, Incorporated Trustees, Enterprises, Cooperative Society, MDAs, Trade Association etc include:
1. Certificate of Incorporation as issued to you by the Corporate affairs commission during incorporation.
2. Memorandum and Articles of Association: This shows the company’s set up as well as how it is run, governed and owned.
3. A document that contains the incorporation date, commencement date, name of the company, business address of the company, email address etc should be handy during the registration process.
4. Application letter for the TIN number on the company’s letter headed paper
5. The TIN application form is now filled online or you can get the form from any FIRS office closest to you and have it duly filled before going for your FIRS TIN number.
6. NOTE: You are to take the original copy and 2 photocopies of each document to the FIRS office.
How To Apply For TIN Number Online
The good thing is that you can now apply for your TIN number online from the comfort of your home. All you need is to have all the necessary requirements handy and any device with internet access and you are good to go.
How to Generate TIN Number online as an Individuals
As I stated earlier, individuals are automatically assigned a TIN number based on their BVN(Bank Verification Number)or NIN(National identity number).
You can just verify if you have already been assigned a TIN by following the verification steps that we have outlined below in the verification section of this article.
How To Generate TIN Online For Companies and Businesses.
- Visit the JTB TIN application page here.
- Fill in your details as required on the TIN online application form.
- You may be required to upload some documents during the applications process.
- When you have completed the form, click on the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the page.
- Your TIN online request will be verified and approved. TIN Certificate will be sent automatically to the registered email.
How Much Does it Cost To Get TIN in Nigeria?
Both the TIN application and TIN allocation is free in Nigeria to both individuals and companies. However, if you enlist the services of a third party to help you in the TIN application process charges may apply as the case may be.
How Long Does it Take To Get TIN Number In Nigeria
The TIN generation process is supposed to be realtime and automatic when doing it online. However, should it fail, then it should not exceed 48 hours after a TIN request has been submitted.
YOU NEED TO READ THIS: Create New Gmail Account in Few Easy Steps.
Why Do I Need To Register for TIN?
The TIN number is an important number for every eligible individual or company. Apart from the fact that it is your civic responsibility to pay your tax, you will also require it to do some other important things like:
- Opening a corporate bank account
- Application for trade licenses
- Import and export licenses
- Registration of motor vehicles
- Accessing Government loans
- Foreign exchange business
- Application for certificate of occupancy for landed properties etc, etc.
TIN Verification: How To Verify TIN Number in Nigeria
It is very easy to verify your TIN online in Nigeria via the JTB TIN portal. Whether you are an individual or company, TIN verification is simple.
To verify your TIN, follow the steps outlined below:
- Visit the JTB TIN verification portal.
- The verification page is on the left side of the page.
- Enter your date of birth if you are an individual or Date of incorporation if you are a business incorporated by the CAC.
- Select search criteria which will be one of – BVN or NIN for individuals or CAC Reg.NO for companies.
- Next, enter the corresponding number you chose as your search value in the space provided for it.
- Tick the captcha box to ensure that you are not a robot.
- Finally, click on the green search box and wait for your result. Refer to the picture below.
If you still have issues with TIN online application or TIN number online registration, please visit the nearest FIRS office close to you or leave a comment for us below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.